FACT Wiki Page
Check out the FACT Wiki page for best practices on receiver attachment methods, on how to manage receiver metadata, and more. Click here.
Acoustic Receiver Updates from Innovasea
- Important VR2W / VR2Tx / VR2AR / Ascent-AR Firmware Update (v5.1.8)
Data Analysis Tools
VEMco Biotelemetry User Database (VEMBU)
Developed by our very own Joy Young the VEMco Biotelemetry User Database (VEMBU) is an access database used to store receiver and sensor metadata, download logs, and tagging metadata. The VEMBU has a lot of useful tools and outputs as well as a means to format data easily to be put into the FACT Datanode – the FACT Network’s detection sharing hub created by the Ocean Tracking Network. The VEMBU is named in honor of our friend Vembu Subramanian, a big supporter of the FACT Network who was taken from us too soon. To get a copy of the VEMBU please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out our VEMBU Tutorial series on YouTube
- Tutorial #1:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OluFXOIAbpI
- Tutorial #2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrM0LCRccP8
- Tutorial #3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg8V0iKVbow
- Tutorial #4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kxFpkyMnWA
- Tutorial #5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEhRoCpSTrw
- Tutorial #6:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxKAiZAVCnU
- Tutorial #7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsVG4YbDM9Y
- Tutorial #8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yJYrZfEACo
- Tutorial #9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fih0zwrGMyQ
- Tutorial #10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKJKLHJuCXU
Marine Geospatial Ecology Tools (MGET)
A free open- source geoprocessing toolbox that works with ArcGIS. Some of the functions that we are the most excited about include the assistance the tool gives on detecting spatiotemporal patterns in fisheries data, building predictive species distribution models, and pulling in remote sensing data (created by the Marine geospatial ecology lab at Duke).
R you into Programming? (See what we did there)
While many programming languages exist, the most common language used by FACT researchers is R. If you’re an R geek like us here are some useful tips and packages we think are pretty snazzy for animal tracking data analysis.
Acoustic Telemetry R Packages
Other Helpful R Packages
- Marmap (for calculating distances around barriers)
Other Collaborative Networks
Like Acoustic Telemetry? Check out these other collaborative networks
Animal Tracking Technology Manufacturers
At the FACT Network our researchers commonly use different tag types to help answer questions about animal movement. Below are links to some of the manufacturers our researchers use.
Got a cool tool, tag, or robot we should know about? Email us at email@example.com