In-situ technology – buoys, metrological and coastal stations – are the real time eyes on the water. Mariners need to know the true local conditions before heading out. Data from these stations are used to:
- improve marine weather forecasts and models
- increase accuracy for storm track and storm surge inundation
- support scientific research
- issue marine warnings
To explore SECOORA supported coastal stations and moorings, see the map below.
Coastal Stations and Moorings News and Resources
Marine Weather Portal
Curious about the wave heights or wind speed before deciding whether to leave the dock? Access free coastal and offshore observations and forecasts in one convenient location on the the Marine Weather Portal. Access data.
Text a Buoy
Need quick access to your favorite buoy data? Get that data delivered directly to your phone by text message. Send a text message to (843) 603-8559 with the station “key” from this table. This is a free service from SECOORA. Standard message rates from your carrier may apply. Find your favorite buoy.
Project Principal Investigators
- University of North Carolina at Wilmington
- University of South Florida College of Marine Science
- South Carolina Department of Natural Resources
- University of Georgia