Image Credit: NOAA
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) recently released its 2014 Atlantic Hurricane season outlook and it is calling for a 50 percent chance of a below-normal season, a 40 percent chance of a near-normal season, and only a 10 percent chance of an above-normal season. NOAA’s predictions are based on the anticipated El Nino development this summer.1
Although it is predicted that the Atlantic coast will experience near-normal or below-normal hurricane season, it is best to be prepared for any category hurricane. June 1st is the official start of hurricane season and the National Weather Service (NWS) National Hurricane Center offers a plethora of resources to ensure your safety. SECOORA has a Marine Weather Portal for you to follow the predicted storm track when there is a watch/warning in effect.
Follow us on Twitter (@SECOORA) for real-time updates on storm development in the Southeast.
Webinar: Developing low-cost and open-source technologies for smart coastal communities
Join us Thursday, February 22nd at 12 PM ET for SECOORA's Coastal Observing in Your Community Webinar Series! Our speaker this month is Dr. Phil Bresnahan from the University of North Carolina Wilmington.
SECOORA Request for Quotes: Operate Nationwide Coastal Web Camera Network
SECOORA is soliciting proposals focused on installing, maintaining, and operating web cameras to scale from a regional to a national network of coastal web cameras (WebCOOS).
Meet the Winner of the 2023 SECOORA Data Challenge
Kaylee Mooney, a graduate student from Florida Gulf Coast University, is the winner of the SECOORA Data Challenge for her proposal Implementing Vulnerability into Historic Hurricane Normalizations.